How many syllables in Sting
How many syllables?
How it's divided?
- v. t. - Any sharp organ of offense and defense, especially when
connected with a poison gland, and adapted to inflict a wound by
piercing; as the caudal sting of a scorpion. The sting of a bee or wasp
is a modified ovipositor. The caudal sting, or spine, of a sting ray is
a modified dorsal fin ray. The term is sometimes applied to the fang of
a serpent. See Illust. of Scorpion.
- v. t. - A sharp-pointed hollow hair seated on a gland which
secrets an acrid fluid, as in nettles. The points of these hairs
usually break off in the wound, and the acrid fluid is pressed into it.
- v. t. - Anything that gives acute pain, bodily or mental; as, the
stings of remorse; the stings of reproach.
- v. t. - The thrust of a sting into the flesh; the act of
stinging; a wound inflicted by stinging.
- v. t. - A goad; incitement.
- v. t. - The point of an epigram or other sarcastic saying.
1 Syllable Words Starting with?