How many syllables?
How it's divided?
- n. - The transfer of possession of personal property from a
debtor to a creditor as security for a debt or engagement; also, the
contract created between the debtor and creditor by a thing being so
delivered or deposited, forming a species of bailment; also, that which
is so delivered or deposited; something put in pawn.
- n. - A person who undertook, or became responsible, for another;
a bail; a surety; a hostage.
- n. - A hypothecation without transfer of possession.
- n. - Anything given or considered as a security for the
performance of an act; a guarantee; as, mutual interest is the best
pledge for the performance of treaties.
- n. - A promise or agreement by which one binds one's self to do,
or to refrain from doing, something; especially, a solemn promise in
writing to refrain from using intoxicating liquors or the like; as, to
sign the pledge; the mayor had made no pledges.
- n. - A sentiment to which assent is given by drinking one's
health; a toast; a health.
1 Syllable Words Starting with?