How many syllables?
How it's divided?
- v. t. - To rub over the surface of (something) with a sharp or
rough instrument; to rub over with something that roughens by removing
portions of the surface; to grate harshly over; to abrade; to make
even, or bring to a required condition or form, by moving the sharp
edge of an instrument breadthwise over the surface with pressure,
cutting away excesses and superfluous parts; to make smooth or clean;
as, to scrape a bone with a knife; to scrape a metal plate to an even
- v. t. - To remove by rubbing or scraping (in the sense above).
- v. t. - To collect by, or as by, a process of scraping; to
gather in small portions by laborious effort; hence, to acquire
avariciously and save penuriously; -- often followed by together or up;
as, to scrape money together.
- v. t. - To express disapprobation of, as a play, or to silence,
as a speaker, by drawing the feet back and forth upon the floor; --
usually with down.
- v. i. - To rub over the surface of anything with something which
roughens or removes it, or which smooths or cleans it; to rub harshly
and noisily along.
- v. i. - To occupy one's self with getting laboriously; as, he
scraped and saved until he became rich.
1 Syllable Words Starting with?