How many syllables in Hawk
How many syllables?
How it's divided?
- n. - One of numerous species and genera of rapacious birds of the
family Falconidae. They differ from the true falcons in lacking the
prominent tooth and notch of the bill, and in having shorter and less
pointed wings. Many are of large size and grade into the eagles. Some,
as the goshawk, were formerly trained like falcons. In a more general
sense the word is not infrequently applied, also, to true falcons, as
the sparrow hawk, pigeon hawk, duck hawk, and prairie hawk.
- v. i. - To catch, or attempt to catch, birds by means of hawks
trained for the purpose, and let loose on the prey; to practice
- v. i. - To make an attack while on the wing; to soar and strike
like a hawk; -- generally with at; as, to hawk at flies.
- v. i. - To clear the throat with an audible sound by forcing an
expiratory current of air through the narrow passage between the
depressed soft palate and the root of the tongue, thus aiding in the
removal of foreign substances.
- v. t. - To raise by hawking, as phlegm.
- n. - An effort to force up phlegm from the throat, accompanied
1 Syllable Words Starting with?