How many syllables?
How it's divided?
- n. - A iron instrument which is attached to a ship by a cable
(rope or chain), and which, being cast overboard, lays hold of the
earth by a fluke or hook and thus retains the ship in a particular
- n. - Any instrument or contrivance serving a purpose like that
of a ship's anchor, as an arrangement of timber to hold a dam fast; a
contrivance to hold the end of a bridge cable, or other similar part; a
contrivance used by founders to hold the core of a mold in place.
- n. - Fig.: That which gives stability or security; that on which
we place dependence for safety.
- n. - An emblem of hope.
- n. - A metal tie holding adjoining parts of a building together.
- n. - Carved work, somewhat resembling an anchor or arrowhead; --
a part of the ornaments of certain moldings. It is seen in the echinus,
or egg-and-anchor (called also egg-and-dart, egg-and-tongue) ornament.
2 Syllable Words Starting with?